Logos Christian Alternative Program
Logos Society Mission
The mission of the Edmonton Logos Society is to actively support Logos schools to effectively train and equip students through Christ-centered teaching to be the “salt” and “light of the world.” (Matthew 5: 13, 14)
Society Statement Of Belief
The Logos Society of Edmonton follows 5 basic principles:
- God is our creator who knows and loves each one of us.
- God has provided, through the Bible, certain values, standards of behavior and fundamental truths, particularly in passages such as the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:1-17) and the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5, 6, and 7). These values, standards of behavior and fundamental truths are to guide us in living out our lives. Truth is not relative and, therefore, not based simply on each person’s opinion.
- Although we all make mistakes, or commit sins, we can be forgiven because Jesus, the Son of God, offered Himself as payment for our sins, and is alive today to strengthen us through His Holy Spirit. Just as He forgives us for our sins, so must we forgive others who hurt us or sin against us.
- We are on this earth to love God and serve Him by caring for and serving our fellow human beings. We are not meant to live merely for our own pleasure and self-interest.
- God works in our lives and in the lives of those around us, and throughout our world as we spend time with Him in prayer.
Logos Alternative Program
The Logos program provides instruction of the provincial curriculum within a Christian setting using a structured approach. The non-denominational environment is based on traditional Christian principles as set out in the Bible and the Apostles' Creed. It focuses on the principles of loving God, one another, a commitment to Christ's teachings and an understanding that we are ultimately responsible to God for our actions.
The Logos Program follows the Alberta Program of Studies. Teaching of the knowledge, skills and attitudes is done within a Christian context. A Christian viewpoint to issues and topics from all curriculum areas is provided and links are made between the concepts being taught and the Bible teachings on that concept.
The LOGOS CHRISTIAN PROGRAM further sustains the Christian environment through daily activities such as morning prayers, Bible readings, songs and chapel with a Christian perspective. Memorization of scripture is encouraged and is a key part of the nurturing and spiritually sustaining nature of the program. Religious instruction is not a part of the Logos program.
High Academic Standards
In preparing our students for an effective Christian lifestyle, it is imperative that they are given an opportunity to learn in an environment that provides for the highest of standards, not only in a biblical sense, but also from an academic perspective. There is a strong expectation that students are willing to work and seek to achieve academic excellence. Daily homework and study is an expectation.
Approach to Teaching
An emphasis on sound and proven traditional educational methods and techniques is an integral part of the Logos Christian Program. There is an emphasis on mastery of core subject matter. Christian instruction is primarily teacher-centered group instruction.
There is a strong expectation that parents will be committed to the program and its educational principles, goals, methods and practices. They are expected to provide encouragement for their child and work cooperatively with the teachers to maintain a challenging, disciplined learning environment. Parents are asked to sign a parental commitment of support for the mission statement and objectives of this program at the beginning of each school year.
Positive behaviour is expected of all students in the LOGOS CHRISTIAN PROGRAM and this expectation is reinforced by the staff. The central focus is on loving God and loving one another. Links are made to Christ's teachings in situations where poor choices have been made. Prayer is a part of the healing and forgiveness processes.