Beginning September 2020, Queen Alexandra School will open a French Immersion Kindergarten class. The program will grow each year by adding one grade per year. The program will grow to become a Kindergarten to Grade 6 program. Completing French Immersion Kindergarten is not a prerequisite for Grade 1 enrollment.
A video about the French Immersion Program with Edmonton Public School Division:
Parent Resources for French Immersion:
- CASLT (Canadian Association of Second Language Teachers):
- My Child's Learning - Alberta Government. This tool can help you discover what your child is learning, how they’re assessed and what resources are available to help them be successful from Kindergarten to Grade 12.
- Yes, You Can Help - Alberta Government. Information for parents of FIM students.
- French Immersion Kindergarten in Alberta : A Handbook for Parents - Alberta Government. It contains information about your child’s development (social, physical, intellectual, creative and emotional), explains what you can expect to see in a FIM kindergarten class, what your child will learn and offers suggestions of how ro prepare your child for the French Immersion program.
- Canadian Parents for French
- CPF Alberta Branch
- Alliance Française
- Parent Handbook - French Immersion Kindergarten in Alberta
Tools to Support Your Child
- Text to Speech - Allows you to type in a French expression and it will be read to you, using the correct pronunciation.
- DeepL - created by the University of Ottawa; will help you translate words into the different languages
- Visual Dictionary - French picture dictionary is broken into categories for help in finding specific vocabulary.
EPSB Together! - App with simple ideas for engaging your child in fun activities that fit into your everyday life.