French Immersion Programming
Alberta Education recognizes that English and French are the official languages of Canada. As French is one of Canada's two official languages, learning French is considered important to enhance opportunities for living and working throughout Canada and the world, as well as to foster a greater understanding between French-speaking and English-speaking Canadians. Alberta Education encourages opportunities for all Alberta students to learn French by making available alternative French language programs such as French immersion and French as a second language courses.
Beginning in September 2020, École Queen Alexandra School opened its first French Immersion Kindergarten class. The program will grow each year by adding one grade per year to become a Kindergarten to Grade 6 program. Completing French Immersion Kindergarten is not a prerequisite for Grade 1 enrollment.
In the 2023-24 school year, École Queen Alexandra will be offering French Immersion programming at the following grade levels: Kindergarten and Grades 1 to 3.
A video about the French Immersion Program with Edmonton Public School Division:
The French Immersion Program follows the Alberta Program of Studies. Teaching of the knowledge, skills and attitudes is done within a French context.
High Academic Standards
In preparing our students for life as a bilingual citizen, it is imperative that they are given an opportunity to learn in an environment that provides for the highest of standards, not only in a cultural sense, but also from an academic perspective. There is a strong expectation that students are willing to work and seek to achieve academic excellence. Daily homework and study is an expectation.
Parent Resources for French Immersion
- CASLT (Canadian Association of Second Language Teachers):
- My Child's Learning - Alberta Government. This tool can help you discover what your child is learning, how they’re assessed and what resources are available to help them be successful from Kindergarten to Grade 12.
- Yes, You Can Help - Alberta Government. Information for parents of FIM students.
- French Immersion Kindergarten in Alberta : A Handbook for Parents - Alberta Government. It contains information about your child’s development (social, physical, intellectual, creative and emotional), explains what you can expect to see in a FIM kindergarten class, what your child will learn and offers suggestions of how to prepare your child for the French Immersion program.
- Canadian Parents for French
- CPF Alberta Branch
- Alliance Française
- Parent Handbook - French Immersion Kindergarten in Alberta
Tools to Support Your Child
- Text to Speech - Allows you to type in a French expression and it will be read to you, using the correct pronunciation.
- DeepL - created by the University of Ottawa; will help you translate words into the different languages
- Visual Dictionary - French picture dictionary is broken into categories for help in finding specific vocabulary.
EPSB Together! - Is an App with simple ideas for engaging your child in fun activities that fit into your everyday life.